Parish church of Sant Vicenç

Plaça de l'Església (Church Sq.)

The Neo-classical parish church of Sant Vicenç was built in 1755 at a time when the former 15th-century church in the Vila Vella had become too small for the congregation. The 16th-century expansion of Tossa beyond its walls meant that the old church was also too far away.

The large volume of the central nave contrasts with the plainness of the rest of the building. The church was originally decorated with simple baroque altarpieces and images. Unfortunately, however, this valuable heritage disappeared during the Spanish Civil War, with the exception of an altar of the Immaculate Conception.

Recent renovation of the interior paintwork has brought back some of the church’s former beauty and luminosity.